Denver, CO: 2016 International Hemispherectomy Conference & Family Reunion
July 8, 2016 @ 8:00 am - July 10, 2016 @ 12:00 pm
Spend time with families who “get it,” nurture old friendships, and form new lifelong bonds.
Some highlights of this year’s conference include:
- Professional presentations under the headings of medical, physical, sensory, financial planning, education, and adult life;
- Saturday morning panel questions and answers discussions on the medical aspects of disorders of hemispherectomy surgery, including return of seizures, onset of hydrocephalus, endocrine issues, and other concerns. A special session on use of cannabis to control epilepsy will be included;
- Adults 18+ diagnosed who had childhood hemispherectomy are invited to participate in self-advocacy, financial management, and employment workshops;
- The full conference package includes Friday breakfast and lunch, Saturday breakfast and lunch, and Saturday evening BBQ at the hoedown;
- Kid Camp will be supervised by Kiddie Corp for registered attendees aged 6 mos –17.
Keynote Address by Anat Baniel: Thinking Outside of the Box
Friday, July 8 • 1:30 – 3:00 pm
The Anat Baniel Method is based on cutting-edge scientific theory and on the understanding of how our brain learns and transforms our body, our mind, and our spirit. Tens of thousands of people seeking an alternative and complementary approach to medicine, fitness training, physical therapy programs, and ways to help children with special needs have used ABM NeuroMovement with great success.
Anat Baniel will discuss ABM NeuroMovement and how it may work for a child after hemispherectomy surgery, as well as for adults who had hemispherectomy in childhood.
New this year is our gadget expo and resource fair. This additional piece to the conference is a convenient way to share information in our community by offering resources—materials, programming, activities, and giveaways—in one location. The expo and resource fair will be held July 8 and 9 from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.